PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CAREFULLY
Financial assistance is available at Serra Catholic High School to those students who feel they are unable to pay the full amount of tuition. ALL STUDENTS ARE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY. Financial awards are based upon an independent objective assessment of need completed by the Private School Aid Service (PSAS). The funds are available from various sources. All information submitted on your application or in support of it will be treated in the utmost confidence. We ask that you also treat in strict confidence the amount of aid you may receive.
SOURCES OF AID
1. Bishop's Education Fund: Educational grants from this fund are restricted to specifically assist Catholic students attending Catholic elementary and secondary schools in the Diocese of Pittsburgh. This is the thirteenth year that grants from the fund will be distributed.
2. Scholastic Opportunity Scholarship Program (SOS): This grant program is open to any student, Catholic or non-Catholic, in grades Kindergarten through 12 residing in Pennsylvania and attending any Catholic school in the Diocese of Pittsburgh. This will be the sixth year that grants from the fund will be distributed.
3. Opportunity Scholarship Tax Credit (OSTC): This grant program is open to any student, Catholic or non-Catholic, in grades Kindergarten through 12th residing within the boundaries of a low-achieving school as determined by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. This is the first year that grants from this fund will be distributed.
4. School Aid: need-based financial assistance awarded by the individual high school. These may include school grants and grants from special funds. A significant portion of school grant monies comes from the Parish Share Program (PSP).
NEW APPLICATION PROCESS
TO APPLY FOR AID
All parents applying for financial aid must complete the PSAS application, which can be accessed by clicking here. Parents must also submit the following information:
1) a copy of their federal tax return (and state return if applying to SOS)
2) a completed 2013-2014 Student Aid Form (pastor’s signature required if applying to BEF)
3) a $24 administrative fee
Student Aid Forms are due to PSAS by March 15, 2013. Failure to return the application by the March 15 deadline may be disqualified from receiving any financial aid package.
1.) Parents must have their pastor sign their “Student Aid Form” (PSAS) verifying that they are practicing Catholics, prior to sending it for evaluation. As the form notes, parents have the option of having the pastor sign a partially completed form that does not contain confidential financial information.
2.) Mail the PSAS form, the required materials, and the $24.00 fee directly to the Private School Aid Service. DO NOT SEND THE PSAS APPLICATION TO THE SCHOOL.
3.) You only need to submit one PSAS application per family, which will suffice for all your children attending eligible Catholic schools in the Diocese of Pittsburgh. The deadline for applications is no later than March 15, 2013.
Timetable for School Aid Awards
March 15, 2013 - PSAS Application due to Private School Aid Service
Late May 2013 - Notification of aid package to parents of all students.
Late May 2013 - Target date for awarding grants from the Bishop's Education Fund/SOS Fund